Parrot 4.8 Beta test

Hi! We are still alive, we are working hard for make our os always at its top!
Recently we slow down development a bit for redesigning all of our infrastructure.
A new beta iso will be available soon, and i’ll paste here the link when it’s avilable.

EDIT: HEY! New Beta iso Available Here! https://deb.parrot.sh/parrot/iso/

Please do your report following this template

ISO version :

Hard drive install : yes/no
USB creation mode : DD command , Etcher etc…

Virtual machine : (specify the virtual machine you are using and settings):

Problems encountered during installation : Grub fail , etc …

Once the installation is done, please use the Inxi tool to allow you to view your equipment :
Install inxi and launch : inxi -MSNGAmprdC ( i change option P by p , better to read partionning)
Inxi report :

System testing and bugs report

NEW BETA ISO AVAILABLE
http://deb.parrotsec.org/parrot/iso/4.8-beta5/

9 Likes

Why this place is too silent while Parrot OS is one of the best distributions, it should be mentioned more and more, i have used a number of linux distros but my personal view is i got stucked on this OS. After using it for a while, it is almost impossible to use others due to its design and confidence it gives. Had been using kali until i decided to remove it and use this OS, since then i find myself installing Parrot again after installing some other distros for trial, unfortunately many of them crash or suck.
Anyway,

It seems it’s been long time that new releases aren’t on homepage since December more or less.

How does it go indeed?
When will 4.8 beta version be being released?
Any ideas?

Also the community should be more out loud!
Because I believe ParrotOS isn’t at the place it deserves!

1 Like

Hi! First of all thanks for your effort. Just let you know that today’s upgrade switches me to 4.8 version that is a beta version as you said. I hope that nothing will go wrong but I just don’t ask for a beta version. If it was a mistake I’m sure you will fix this. Bye

$cat /etc/os-release 
PRETTY_NAME="Parrot GNU/Linux 4.8"
NAME="Parrot GNU/Linux"
ID=parrot
ID_LIKE=debian
VERSION="4.8"
VERSION_ID="4.8"
1 Like

Well, we decided to give a refresh on the entire project, not only on the os.
We are working on redesigning the entire parrot infrastructure, we migrated to docker-compose, we have a new gitlab instance, new mirrors redirection and so on.
In the meantime we are working on the py2 EOL stuff, and reviewing the package we’re offering.

We are not silent, just slowed down a bit. Just working for give a better experience.

1 Like

We always update base package (include version number) before real big update. Let me talk to Palinuro about this. This is not the first time.

Yes - I noticed the same - update to v4.8

Either it is v4.8 or it is not. How do you upgrade to v4.8 before it is even beta tested?

I am happy to test - but this is my primary device and daily driver - I would rather be warned and have a choice - I cannot afford to loose my my main machine and all my work.

4.8-beta2 is working without issues for me on sacrificial HP laptop. Somehow i am not surprised. I by no means use the full extent of the tools available in Parrot Security, but for my purposes, i was able to install KDE Home edition and install the tools i do teach with, no problems. :slight_smile:

I am updating some packages to fix problems and upgrade things. I think that should be final testing before we release it.

Anything you want specifically tested?

after last parrot-upgrade i have this error:

W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/tgl_dmc_ver2_04.bin for module i 915 on my dell xps13

How to fix it?

git clone https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git

sudo cp ./linux-firmware/i915/tgl_dmc_ver2_04.bin /lib/firmware/i915/

sudo reboot

done!

Have a good one

HEY! New Beta iso Available Here! https://deb.parrot.sh/parrot/iso/4.8-beta3/

5 Likes

please let me know if the new beta3 works properly

if everything works as expected, then we are ready to release!

4 Likes

Beta has got some problems still in beta 3. Like anonsurf doesn’t fetch ip addr. TP-LINK 722n v1 is not working. MATE tweaks is breaking previous layout if its changed. Besides Parrot Logon Layout needed to be themed so that it looks more cool

Please do your report following this template

ISO version :

Hard drive install : yes/no
USB creation mode : DD command , Etcher etc…

Virtual machine : (specify the virtual machine you are using and settings):

Problems encountered during installation : Grub fail , etc …

Once the installation is done, please use the Inxi tool to allow you to view your equipment :
Install inxi and launch : inxi -MSNGAmprdC ( i change option P by p , better to read partionning)
Inxi report :

System testing and bugs report

1 Like

Dopo l’aggiornamento wifi vede le reti ma continua a cercare senza riuscire a connettersi.
L’errore che ho notato con dmesg è questo:
error setting pan parameters (5)

Hi there. I actually didn’t face big problems but still didn’t understand the upgrade situation. Also I have these packages the system ask me to autoremove and I don’t think it’s normal:

The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      coinor-libcbc3 coinor-libcgl1 coinor-libclp1 coinor-libcoinmp1v5
      coinor-libcoinutils3v5 coinor-libosi1v5 fonts-noto-extra fonts-noto-ui-core
      fonts-sil-gentium fonts-sil-gentium-basic gir1.2-gst-plugins-base-1.0
      gir1.2-rb-3.0 keepassxc libavahi-gobject0 libbsh-java libdmapsharing-3.0-2
      libgee-0.8-2 libgpod-common libgpod4 libgrilo-0.3-0 libgtkmm-2.4-1v5
      libreoffice libreoffice-nlpsolver libreoffice-script-provider-bsh
      libreoffice-script-provider-js libreoffice-script-provider-python
      libreoffice-wiki-publisher librhythmbox-core10 libsgutils2-2 libykpers-1-1
      libyubikey-udev libyubikey0 libzxcvbn0 media-player-info python-pbkdf2
      python-pyric python-roguehostapd rhythmbox rhythmbox-data rhythmbox-plugins
      shotwell shotwell-common vinagre

my actual parrot version:

$uname -a 
Linux passage64 5.4.0-3parrot1-amd64 #1 SMP Parrot 5.4.13-3parrot2 (2020-02-01) 
x86_64 GNU/Linux

$cat /etc/os-release 
PRETTY_NAME="Parrot GNU/Linux 4.8"
NAME="Parrot GNU/Linux"
ID=parrot
ID_LIKE=debian
VERSION="4.8"
VERSION_ID="4.8"

Could you please give us some news. Thanks a lot

1 Like

We decided remove some package from pre-installed list. You can still install them again. Our list for now:

• keepassxc: not many people use it (i am using it and i’ll install it manually after upgrade)
  • shotwell: image viewer. This doesn’t work well for all image format. Eye of mate does it better
  • rhythmbox: I think vlc is enough.
  • vinagre: We are using only remmina. This is remote desktop service and remmina supports more protocols
3 Likes

Hi ! Thanks for your job ! Parrot os my favorite distro for programming and security.
I tried to install Parrot-4.8-KDE on my 256Go hard drive. I selected two partition (/home and /) in btrfs and xfs, but after installing there are no space in /home (0 bytes left).
Moreover I used French language and keyboard configuration but after installing keyboard was still in qwerty.
I didn’t notice any other problems.
Let me know if you need more information.
I’m glad to help you.

Thanks !

could you please try to perform the installation again, go to the partitioning slide and let us see the scheme it creates? you don’t need to perform the installation again, and you don’t have to necessarily proceed with such installation, but i am curious to see what partition layout the installer tries to make on your particular storage setup.

the installer has some predefined percentages used by the automatic partitioner, and we need to make sure that the right size is assigned to the right partition on every disk size

ok I see. but what about libreoffice? However it’s not a big deal to reinstall libreoffice as well… thanks for your reply and for all your work

1 Like