Parrot gui not coming

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Hello. Do you have a nvidia card? If so do you have drivers installed?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Please provide more info if you want help.

Hello there, I’ve experienced this same problem and I’ve been using the old kernel (5.1) since. I’ve annexed the bootlog for when I try to boot with 5.2 to this message. boot.log (184.3 KB)

Do you have an NVIDIA gpu? I see gpu hangups from logs.

I am experiencing the same issue right after updating kernel to kernel 5.2.0-2parrot1-amd64. But I can login to desktop with only “ACPI off” option on the boot menu; otherwise, computer locks up at the login screen without showing the password prompt.
Laptop E5450

I just run parrot-upgrade and reboot but it is still the same… I think, problem with acpi
[sudo] password for akecheta:
ii linux-image-4.19.0-parrot4-28t-amd64 4.19.28-2parrot4.28t amd64 Linux 4.19 for 64-bit PCs
ii linux-image-5.2.0-2parrot1-amd64 5.2.9-2parrot1 amd64 Linux 5.2 for 64-bit PCs
ii linux-image-amd64 5.2+111+parrot1 amd64 Linux for 64-bit PCs (meta-package)
┌─[akecheta@parrot]─[~]
└──╼ $sudo update-grub2^C
┌─[✗]─[akecheta@parrot]─[~]
└──╼ $sudo apt autoremove -y && sudo autoclean -y
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
nvidia-settings
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
After this operation, 3,292 kB disk space will be freed.
(Reading database … 523693 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing nvidia-settings (418.74-1) …
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.28-10) …
Processing triggers for nvidia-alternative (430.40-2) …
update-alternatives: warning: forcing reinstallation of alternative /usr/lib/nvidia/current because link group nvidia is broken
Processing triggers for glx-alternative-nvidia (1.0.0) …
Processing triggers for glx-alternative-mesa (1.0.0) …
Processing triggers for update-glx (1.0.0) …
Processing triggers for glx-alternative-nvidia (1.0.0) …
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.135) …
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.2.0-2parrot1-amd64
Processing triggers for bumblebee (3.2.1-20parrot1) …
Scanning application launchers
Updating active launchers
Done
sudo: autoclean: command not found
┌─[✗]─[akecheta@parrot]─[~]
└──╼ $sudo apt autoremove -y && sudo apt autoclean -y
Building dependency tree
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Building dependency tree
┌─[akecheta@parrot]─[~]
└──╼ $

People, please KEEP IN MIND that when you do parrot-upgrade NVIDIA driver upgrades TOO and it’s update probably breaks your system.

And I already see you HAVE one. And I don’t see the nvidia-driver here, but

Do you have nvidia-driver installed?

I’m having the same issue in a ThinkPad T450S with intel integrated graphics. Fixed using 5.1.0 kernel until fixed.

yes, I have Nvidia card on my Laptop Latitude E5450

Okay, let me try to reproduce it in the vm. I will come back asap.

I tried to reproduce the problem and got the black screen, after checking the /var/log/Xorg.0.log, it appeared that it is a problem of vboxvideo driver, so I had to install the virtualbox-guest iso image to the box, and everything magically worked.

I really need the /var/log/Xorg.0.log, if it’s for you to get the logs and transfer them to the flash drive and upload here, or just take a lot of photos, I understand that you guys can’t boot, that’s why even photos here are acceptable.

Also give the cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE

I fixed the problem by restoring from backup and installed nvidia driver again and use parrot-upgrade again. it worked
Here is old log file I Xorg.1.log (42.5 KB)

Here is Xorg.0.log
file:///home/akecheta/Xorg.0.log.zip

I do not konw if it was the problem but I was not able to access one of the mirror site “leaseweb” I can not remmember full address.

No, I have an AMD Radeon:

04:00.0 Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Topaz XT [Radeon R7 M260/M265 / M340/M360 / M440/M445]

It’s driver is not installed. I don’t think there is a FOSS driver available for this model.

Here’s the Xorg logs you’ve asked:
Xorg.0.log (43.2 KB)
XorgEE.0.log (222 Bytes)

Thank’s for the logs, but those are logs from booting to 4.19 kernel, and it doesn’t tell much to me. You can try installing AMD drivers by following our guide https://docs.parrotlinux.org/info/gpu-drivers/

Probably something is wrong with the nvidia-driver upgrade, we need to reproduce this.

You have to look up more to this error:
(EE) /dev/dri/card0: failed to set DRM interface version 1.4: Permission denied
That looks like the issue why you have no parrotGUI, do you have bumblebee installed? If yes try to purge it and reinstall it again.

Hi! I ran into the issue too (post some messages on telegram group too)…adding here few more details!
I have a laptop with integrated graphics (Intel HD 5500) and a dedicated one:

04:00.0 Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Topaz XT [Radeon R7 M260/M265 / M340/M360 / M440/M445] (rev 81)

Apart from libdrm-amdgpu1, xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu and firmware-amd-graphics packages, nothing else is installed! The gui didn’t coming after updating parrot from 5.2.7 kernel to 5.2.9…when the black screen was there, I managed to open a tty console and I ran the commands:

1. sudo dpkg --configure -a
  2. startx

The gui finally started, but after a while, some lags occurred (see here

I checked processes with top and found 2 instances of Xorg running (see here
terminal
is that expected?

Anyway, here you can find the log requested (there is no particular error in them):
5.2.9: Xorg.0.log (37.8 KB)

Then I tried to boot it again, hoping for a miracle, but same history again…so now I’m with 4.19 and this is the log from the previous attempt: Xorg.0.old.log (37.4 KB)

Thanks for the feedback!